frozen crankshaft sprocket bolt (now pg-13)

So, far Anson has THE BEST reply to the frozen crankshaft bolt question!
Graphic! But, clearly the most original!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anson Clement" <ansonivan@yahoo.com>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 7:59 AM
Subject: Re: frozen crankshaft sprocket bolt (now pg-13)

> Holy crap guy! Will you stop heating the bolt already? Heat causes
expansion yes? so in effect you are making a bad situation badder.... or is
that worser..... whatever.

> What you described is similar to sticking your willy in a milk jug (or for
those less blessed, a beer bottle) and watching footage of britney spears
make out with madona..... yea I guess that might not work for some.... but
anyways you get the idea..... willy swell no come out of bottle.

> Where was I? ......
>
> Anson
>
> Dave <droe@accesscom.com> wrote:
> There are lots of great "stuck crankshaft sprocket bolt" solutions
available on this site especially the "crankshaft seal fun!" threads, and
believe me, I tried each and every one, but I cannot get the motherf.uh, I
mean, the gosh darn thing off!

> Its a 1984 'rocco with a 1.8.
>

> Here's what I've tried so far, each of them with and without liberal
applications of heat and blood.

> 1. Factory stock breaker bar, oil pan off and crankshaft locked with a
block of wood between crank counterweights and the side of the engine block
(the side closest to the front-end). Heated bolt for about 10 minutes with
MAPP gas.

> RESULTS: Splintered wood, amused neighbors.
>

> 2. Modifed breaker bar (6 foot galvanized pipe cheater bar, powder coated
blue, poly thread caps, etc.) and also an upgrade kit for the piece of wood
which consisted of a lead dead-blow hammer. The hammer's head fit perfectly
sideways against the counterweights and the side of the block. The breaker
bar affair was braced with jackstands where the socket met the bolt and
where the breaker bar met the socket. The bolt was again heated. I leaned
about 90 pounds on the end of the 6 foot bar, generating about 500 ft-lbs.
of torque.

> RESULTS: Thankfully, nothing. I was unsure of the amount of force required
to crack the block, and chickened out at 500 ft-lbs. Should I just go for
this? With a friend or two, I could easily put a few ft.-tons on the bolt.
Its not my car, so I'm a little paranoid.

sledgehammer. Heated the f****ng bolt.

> RESULTS: Nothing, and this one really felt like it was working.
>

> 6. Impact wrench. Heated the bolt. This was a normal sized gun that
probably didn't have a hell of a lot of torque, but did break a cheapo
non-impact socket.

> RESULTS: Nothing, but at least that socket won't be busting anyones
knuckles. I might go rent a bigger gun (and use a proper impact socket) if I
can find a place that'll rent one.

> Anyways, there you go. I am totally open to any comments, flames, or death
threats regarding this problem. Again, when I say I heated the bolt, I mean
for about 10 minutes with MAPP gas. Perhaps it needs more? (Oxy-Acetylene?)
Thanks man!