Odd noise from engine

Oh but you can do the mains in the car, it is tricky but it can be done.

Drew MacPherson <drew@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca> wrote:
It's not an easy job at all without taking the head off. I once did the
mains and rod bearings on a diesel without removing the head, but the
engine was on a stand, and it was much easier to do at waist height
working rightside up (and obviously mains cannot be done with the engine
in the car.)

If you're going to invest that much time into the motor, pull the head,
and lightly hone and re-ring the pistons at the same time that you do the
rod bearings. Otherwise pick up a low mileage 1.8/2.0 and swap it in for
some real fun.

Drew

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 Captnbr@aol.com wrote:

> You know, in the back of my mind this is what I was thinking. And I posted
> to see what people would say. I was hoping for a fuggettaboutit. You know,
> kinda like.....Rod bearings??.......fuggettaboutit. Damn, thats a big job? Can
> that be done just by taking the oil pan off from the bottom without removing
> the head?
>
> Brian 86 16v
> 98 Jetta GLX Vr6

| 84 Wolfsburg Edition TurboDiesel Scirocco |
| http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd |