Odd noise from engine

In a message dated 10/30/2003 11:04:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jtoomasson@yahoo.com writes:

<<You may not want to hear this, but I had a similar noise on my 1.6 in my
first mk1. I was told it was the rod bearing(s).>>

You know, in the back of my mind this is what I was thinking.  And I posted
to see what people would say. I was hoping for a fuggettaboutit.  You know,
kinda like.....Rod bearings??.......fuggettaboutit.  Damn, thats a big job?  Can
that be done just by taking the oil pan off from the bottom without removing
the head?

Brian 86 16v
98 Jetta GLX Vr6