Odd noise from engine

Well this noise that I have is getting louder.  Engine runs and pulls fine.
Take two hammers, one in each hand and tap them on the concret and thats what
it sounds like at idle.  Now tap them faster like your playing a snare drum
but do it lightly then do it hard, then back light again and so on, and thats
what it sounds like when I rev the engine.  I open the hood and I can't hear it,
I can only hear it from inside of the car with the windows or door open.  And
when I'm driving next to a wall I can hear it good too. I can't figure out
what it is.  Anyone?

Brian 86 16v
98 Jetta GLX Vr6