Water temp gauge

I installed an oil temp sender in the coolant outlet at the end of the
head and wired it in to my MFA on the turbo diesel to monitor coolant
temperature.  Normal operating temperature is at or around 87 C, this is
the usual "1/8-1/2 needle width above the LED"  I have seen temps as high
as 94C, fully loaded, with post-turbine EGT's in excess of 900F, but
generally it does not exceed 90-92C on moderate load, and usually runs
around 86-88.

There are (at least) 2 versions of the temperature guage that have
integrated warning LEDs and I have found them to read differently at
higher temperatures.  The guage that was originally in my 84, as well as
several other 84-87 gauges that I tested tended to read higher on the
scale than temperature guages from later clusters.  The earlier guages had
no distinguishing markings, but the later guages had a temperature printed
on them (down near the bottom wehre the needle pivots) that was around
125C (don't remember the exact number.)  Although these later guages would
read the same at normal operating temps (ie 87 C - thermostat opening
temp) they would not read as high as the temperature increased moderately
as the earlier ones would.

Instrument cluster, engine or chassis ground issues will cause higher than
normal temperature (both coolant and oil) readings.  On the later A2's
that use plastic coolant manifolds, the senders are all two prong, and the
ground sides are all grounded at the same point as the instrument cluster
(under the dash.)  This tends to keep the readings more consistent, and
less prone to voltage drop when you turn on your headlights etc.

Drew