Water temp gauge

>From my experience the fans come on at about 195 to 200 deg (unless you have
a low temp fan switch).  Watch your gauge when the fan comes on and that
will give you an idea.  I know that between different models (A1, Mk1, Mk2,
A2, etc) some of the sensors were different as were the gauges so once you
start mixing it gets kind of confusing but you can still figure it out.

You could always get one of them thar temp gun thingies!  You can get them
for about $80 now!  They sure come in handy sometimes!

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Chris M Cougill
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 11:52 AM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Water temp gauge

I second the call for a ballpark guide to what the VW temp gauge is
indicating at its various positions.  Mine rides at 2/3 of the way up on
the highway, which seems quite high, but my oil temp rarely indicates
above 105 degrees or so.

I, too, wish VW hadn't cheaped out on the temp gauge.  Has anyone added
an aftermarket gauge w/o eliminating the sender for the dash gauge?  That
ought to give us an idea of what the factory dash gauge reads, though I'll
bet there's quite a varaince in the accuracy of the factory units...

Tks,

Chris
cscmc1@eiu.edu

---