Bumpstops and lowering springs

OK folks, first timer on suspension stuff.  Koni sports and H&R sports.
1.25" drop and I bought new bumpstops and dust cover/caps.  The dust covers
kind of stretch/snap into a grove in the bottom flare of the bumpstop.
Fine.  I am reading that I may have to trim a bit off of the bumpstop to
maintain as much "travel" in my shocks as possible and if i do, I would be
cutting off the part of the BS that the DC clips into.   Is this a "yeah
thats true..sorry" or is there a better way or work around?
Or am I just a nervous nelie and for street and some auto-X there is enough
travel and trimming should not be necessary.
Thanks.
BTW I use a fairly crude method of pre assembling the strut w/o the spring
and stod it up agains a wayy marking the top and bottom of the konis travel
range with the edge of the strut berring flange.  Just a hair under 4"
before the BS is contacted and then theoretically a few 16ths after that of
"bump"
Ken
'79 Scirocco 16V "McFly"
"81 Diesel P/U