fixing dash cracks...?

hey list,
I was wondering if anyone knows about or has tried repairing dash cracks with fiberglass? I was thinking about maybe using some fiberglass on the inside (back side) of the dash in essence holding the crack closed and then maybe using some vinyl or leather to recover the dash. Think it will work?? it would be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier than trying to find a good dash and no one would know unless you remove it. Any thoughts are always welcome.

adam lefevre
south-central PA
1986 8v (and its gonna stay an 8v)
1993 ford escort daily (cuz i'm not walking)