not starting

Sorry, I forgot to mention.
In basic fuel pump issues, the following trick works with basic Bosch CIS,
but I'm not sure how far it will go beyond that except to feel the pressure
against the plate. Should work that far in the 16V. (It was originally
devised as a means to prevent a lean start and backfiring in the 1974
Porsche CIS cars that tended to destroy the plastic airbox/manifold. Also a
great means to enrich a REALLY cold start.)
Pull the air filter to expose the fuel sensor plate bottom.
Turn the ignition switch full on.
Put your fingers under the sensor plate and press upward.
If you feel pressure, your pump is working.
Lift up until you hear the injectors squirt and whine (unless they are E
activated).
Count 5 seconds and add 1 second for each 5 degrees below 0 Fahrenheit for
a rich start.

After 30 years of driving electric fuel pump fed cars, I'm glad that I laid
down good money 20 years ago for  an original VW/Porsche Bosch fuel system
pressure tester.  There have only been three times I've had to connect it
in distress and diagnose the problem, but it paid for itself the first
time. Now, it rides in any Bosch CIS car I drive.
Beyond that, it has become an essential periodic physical examination
tool  to measure system control pressures, bleed down, etc to specification
and rule out fuel feed as a problem.
Great thing is, you can connect it and measure system pressures (including
control) while the engine is running. Problem is, you have to break the
lines to connect.

I haven't had the time yet, but the Bosch tool has convinced me the best
thing for all of my pressure fed toys would be sensors at all key points,
run through a selector to feed a single cockpit gauge.

OK. This isn't helping you. So, I  recommend you go to basics on the fuel,
attach a gauge and measure if you have blueprint pressure at the
distributor, then if you have pressure out of each feed to the injectors.
You can't do it with electronically activated injectors, but one thing I
love about the old plain CIS is that ability to grab a clear little
small-mouth bottle for each injector, pop injectors from the head, insert
injectors in bottles, pressurize, and lift the sensor plate whilst watching
the spray patterns from each.
Short of the above, you can disconnect the input to the distributor, route
it into a safe container (milk jug) and have someone crank. I have done
that on CIS but it should work on all. At least you can rule out the pump
(except for question of spec pressure.)