G-tech Pro meters on eBay - $50

European Car admits to using this as a testing method...

Some time ago, they actually tested this against more traditional means, and
they discovered, as the commercials say, that the 1/4 mile times are accurate
to 1/10th a second...  However, you must know the weight of the vehicle at the
time you test it (or very close)...  That is how it works, by knowing the
vehicles weight, that, and of course, microswitches...

HTH,

David