fuel Tank recall

I had the same problem last year. I'm driving an '88
16v that VWoA said that there were "no open recalls"
on, meaning that at time of the recall inspection,
probably back in '90, they could'nt find a leak.

I had to contact VWoA and tell them of the recall and
my situation. They told me to make an appt w/ the
local VW dealer and keep them (VWoA) of the status.

I made the appt w/ the dealer and the guy at the desk
was adamant that they would not honor the recall
notice because in their records there was "no open
recalls". so be persistent. I had to agree to the
diagnosic fee ($160+). they couldnt find anything
doing the pressure test. I told them to fill the tank
and sure enough they found the leak. Idiots!.

I had to agree to the $500+ fee for removal and
inspection of the tank before they could do any work.

In order for VWoA to foot the bill, the garage manager
had to contact parts compliance. A few days later, i
had a new tank and a free full tank of gas.