megasquirt

Ok, I haven't been paying real close attention to all the megasquirt stuff because quite frankly, I don't understand it and at the time it was irrelavant to me. However, now it's looking a little more useful since I'm considering turbo. What exactly does MS replace? Instead of hunting down and paying big bucks for a digi1 setup, can I just use MS straight up? I looked over the FAQ (you guys use this site for your info right? http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html) and I didn't understand most of what they were talking about. If I can't just use MS, what else do I need? Feel free to respond just to me as most of the people who are interested in megasquirt know all about it already and those that aren't don't want to read about it. Also, if you could explain it on about a 2yr old level that'd be great. I don't understand electronics/wiring/etc at all, which is why I have no idea what's being asked/answered in the FAQ.

TIA,
Dan
President of the K.I.S.S. Club