Free oil link

> 2) I have heard lots of old wives tales about
synthetics/conventional/seals
> and don't believe a word of it.  My experience has been that switching
back
> and forth will NOT create new leaks.

<david wrote>
This is, as my previous note states, is not true.  However, you are not
completely wrong...  Synthetic oil does not specifically create new leaks,
exactly.  The molecules of synthetic oil are smaller, and they are therefore
more likely to find their way past the seals because of this.  It is not
that
they actually cause wear on the seals, this is not the case...  I put 5-40
Castrol synthetic in my 83 GTi, with over 180K on it...  It blew so much oil
everywhere that the engine bay went from silver to black...  I had to
install
new seals, and once I did, I did not have any problems...  I also did this
on
another GTi years ago, and had the same trouble...  Fewer miles, still over
100K, same results...
<end>

Don't forget that some synthetics add an additive to expand seals so that
there is less leakage which would cause switching back and forth between
synthetic and non-synthetic a bad thing depending on the type of synthetic
used.  I have used a few different types of synthetic with different results
so I know there are big differences between different synthetics.

Dave

---