From: Brad Sterling [mailto:bgsterling@earthlink.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 3:00 PM
To: Scirocco List (E-mail)
Subject: Cooling System Fun (a.k.a. Always listen to your Scirocco)

Hi all,

	A quick story with a lesson.  Asking for help:  Last week, after
pulling
into the garage, I turn to my wife and say, "Do you smell coolant?"  She
said "no", but that's not unusual.  I always hear/smell things in that
car
that she doesn't.  I claim it's because me and the Scirocco are in tune
with
each other.  She claims I'm mental.  Anyway, I did nothing about it.
Crying
for help:  I find a small oil spot under the Scirocco in the garage.
Hmm,
it doesn't feel greasy like oil, more slippery or slimey.  More curious,
still did nothing about it.  Demanding help:  While eating dinner on
Sunday
after shopping with the wife, the assistant manager at Sweet Tomatoes
comes
over and asks if I own a little, black VW.  "Yes, I do," I say proudly.
"Well the manager just came in and said it was smoking and leaking all
over
the place out in the parking lot."  I go and check it out.  The upper
radiator hose has a 3-4 inch gash in it and is spewing coolant all over
the
block.  I'm about 30 miles from home, but it's okay.  My car loves me.
How
do I know?  The restaurant is less than a block from a Home Depot.  I
walked
over and bought a pair of pliers, a razor blade, and some duct tape.
Slicing off about 5 inches from the radiator hose, I was able to
reattach
the shortened hose to the block.  I then took the ~1.5 quarts of water
that
we had brought with us from home and filled the reservoir.  Thirty miles
later, we're at home with no overheating problems.  So, the lessons
learned:
One, you can cut about 5" off the upper radiator hose and it will still
fit.
Two, always listen to your Scirocco when she's talking to you.  Three,
my
Scirocco isn't near as vindictive as my Alfa Romeo was.

	Off to talk to the Potter people...

-Brad
'86.5 Scirocco 16v