sunroof problem

How do I go about removing the sunroof from my car when the roof won't
move?  I have a 87 vw scirocco and the sunroof only clicks.  I brought a
complete sunroof and now I have to get mine out so I can get this one
in.  when I turn the knob it just clicks and cables start to pop out the
lining of the roof.  SO I have to find another way other then lifting
the sunroof by the knob to remove it.  Does anyone have a Idea or know
how to do this?  Its going to rain today so I'm going to do it saturday
at work.  if I can find a way to get it out.