update: Crank shaft woodruff key Q's

Drop a long dowel down the #1 spark plug hole and find TRUE tdc by turnin=
the engine by hand until the dowel's height is maximized.

Then check all your other marks. It sounds to me like your valve timing i=
off (and consequently your ignition timing since the dist is
driven off the exhaust cam.. that's why your dist cap is turned
all the way. I experienced this firsthand)

I had this problem (valve timing being off) and it was due to the keyway
in the crank being damaged. Any amount of damage to the keyway is
significant because it is such a small diameter sprocket. The same damage
to the key/keyway on the cam sprocket would be less noticable because the
cam sprocket turns twice for every crank sprocket revolution.

Just 0.5mm of play in the crank keyway is ~ equivalent to about 1 tooth
off on the timing belt. So 1mm of play is 2 teeth, etc. Anyone who's had
their timing belt off a tooth knows how huge of a difference this makes.

-Toby

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Julie Macfarlane wrote:

> I changed the crank/timing belt pulley with one in better condition. Th=
e old
> one at least half of the key was gone, and a small bit of damage to the
> keyway.
>
> When I time the engine I set the mark on the plastic cover with the mar=
k on
> the pulley (&the top of Cyl#1 with the top) it does line up correctly. =
Same