Any tips for removal/installation of Auto tranny in an A2?

Auto tranny swaps are pretty straightforward, provided you are able to
salvage the existing throttle and shifter linkage.  Up here in the rust -
er - snow belt, accomplishing this on a 15 year-old car is a challenge.
Replcing these parts is probably equal to a downpayment on a new Golf...
:)

Another option would be to swap a 5 speed in place of the auto - to do
this up right the easiest thing to do is line up a donor next to the
patient so you have easy access to all the parts you need.

Drew