The mathematics of the 8Vvs16V problem

Heya Patrick,
         Thanks for posting that graph.  Your torque curve illustrates
exactly what I pointed out in my last mail:

Even though your engine pushes out a very, very healthy peak of around 118
lb-ft of torque to the wheels, it manages only 98hp.  Exactly as I said,
the 8V concentrates its torque output down low in the rpm range - yours
peaks at around 2700rpm.  This is ideal for a daily driver -- around town
at leisurely rpms, your car is at its happiest.  It'll squirt off the line
like a beast...

As you can see though, the torque curve peaks early and then falls off
gradually as you approach redline.  Horsepower is nothing more than torque
at high rpms.  Since your car is making relatively little torque at high
rpms, its Horsepower number is so much smaller.  Horsepower isn't my
favorite number when used to gauge the overall driveability and feel of an
engine, but it's the only number you need when you're talking about all-out
acceleration.  At full-tilt, if geared correctly, a 240hp, 3000lb Honda
with 180 lb-ft of torque will still be even with a 240hp, 3000lb V8 with
double the torque.

The reason why is simple:  Under full acceleration, you're between, say,
4000rpm and redline all the time... save for the initial launch, which
admittedly, if done properly, will be in that range, too.  Ignore what
happens at low revs on your chart, and you'll see why a stock 1.8 16V with
the same gearing will outrun your car... it puts more torque down at those
speeds and can rev 1000rpm more.

Now, with that said:  Driving your car and driving that stock 1.8 16V will
feel completely different.  Let's say you and the 16V are puttering along
in 2nd gear at 2500rpm next to each other, and you both realize that your
two lanes are about to turn into one, and you both gun it.  The 16V will be
eating your hard-earned 8-Valve dust.

Now, if you both kept your foot in it, the 16V would eventually catch up
and walk away from you.  But your subjective impression from the short race
will be of course, that your car is faster than a 16V.

This is why I say quite clearly that the 8V is certainly not without its
merits.  The 8V versus 16V war is certainly akin to the V8 and big
displacement versus VTEC and revs debate, albeit on a lesser scale.  Flat
out at the 1/4 mile, the VTEC Honda can keep up with the V8s.  The reason
is because the high revving motor will let you take advantage of gearing,
where the big V8 just pulls and pulls from low revs.  You have to work
harder to keep up in the Honda, but if you do, you'll be rewarded with the
same acceleration times as the big boys.

So yes, your car will, without a shred of doubt in my mind, be a whole lot
more fun around town than a 1.8 16V would.  Low-end torque is what the
American public wants -- that's why we have Buicks with pushrod 3800
V6s.  They give fantastic acceleration off idle and feel powerful, smooth,
and fun -- until it's time to really get moving. When it comes to the
stoplight race - or racetrack - or 1/4 mile track - or high speed race - or
Autobahn cruise, all of that advantage is lost, and indeed a stock 16V
would be faster than your fun-to-drive, torquey and happy built 8V.  It's
just a matter of physics... not me trying to diss ya!

Jason