8v questions, what can I get from the yard?

If you want a 2 litre, why go the RD route, when there's tons of low
mileage ABA blocks sitting in wrecking yards all over the place?  I
think you'll be better ahead if you buy a low mileage ABA engine, sell
the crossflow head, port and polish an RD (or JH, or other) head and
slap it on there...  I bought an entire ABA engine for $450 Canadian,
and sold the head for $200 - which paid for the proper brand new
distributor from Techtonics.  (little tip here, most engines from a
wrecker come with some sort of warrantee - since you're separating the
head from the block anyways, they won't honor the warrantee, so save
some cash and pass on it - saved me $200).  Machining a RD to 2 litres
will cost quite a bit of cash - not including new pistons, etc, etc...
I'd definitely contact a machine shop and price out all the work and
parts you'll need - prepare to be shocked... (can you even bore a RD to
2 litres without increasing the stroke? - I dunno...)

IMHO, a low mileage ABA block is a better option than a rebuilt engine -
factory assembly is a good thing...  If you get a 95 or older it'll have
the piston oil squirters, and have forged rods and crank...  Just look
for an engine with 50,000 miles or less and it'll be good for years...

I will have the (barely used) Techtonics distributor for sale later this
winter after I assemble/install a MegasquirtNedis setup...

As for go-fast goodies from the "breakers", try to find a Fox intake
manifold.  A 4-2 exhaust manifold (or even a header - I've seen quite a
few in boneyards).  You could luck out and find a cam too - I found a
Rabbit locally that had a g-grind, neuspeed tb, tie bars etc, and the
yard had no clue and sold the stuff to me for cheap...

Mark.
80 S
81 S  ABA/JH/4K