Guess who joined the 2L club? [Dyno: 1.8 vs 2.0]

At 06:54 AM 10/15/2003, Julie Macfarlane wrote:
>Jason do you have a duno of the 1.8 and the 2L I could see? I would love
>to compare them.

Sure -- anything for you guys. :)

http://www.scirocco16v.org/dyno/2-0%20vs%201-8.jpg

What you'll see is that just off idle (ahem 1500rpm, Larry), the 2.0 puts
down about 103 lb-ft of torque; the same as the 1.8 puts out at its peak.

These curves are both from my car.  They use the exact same fuel injection
system, manifolds, exhaust, computers... everything.  I literally did
nothing but pull the block and head off and replace them...  thus any
differences are attributable directly to the engine and not any other mods
or tuning.

At high revs, the 2.0's advantage begins to wane.  That's to be expected;
even with the same head as a 1.8, it's got 10% more air to move in and out
of those cylinders.  That breathing difficulty is easily solved with the
addition of a cam.  Which, coincidentally, I will be demonstrating on a
dyno this Saturday.  [I hope!]

Jason