From: Jan Folkson [mailto:jfolkson@optonline.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 10:55 AM
To: Rick Kellner; scirocco list
Subject: Re: Removal of the foam from under the hood?

Hey Rick,

I did this not too long ago.  It really was that tough, just a lot of
grunt
work.  First off 3M makes this great adhesive remover and you'll need to
get
a can (aerosol).  Get yourself a plastic putty knife 1" should do.  And
sheet to cover the engine bay.

Most of the crumbling stuff will just come off in your hand.  That'll
leave
you with just the adhesive left.  Liberally spray the adhesive remover
(wear
a mask and make sure you've got good ventilation) on one compartment at
at
time and then go to work with the knife.  For the last bit of adhesive,
use
a good detergent wax, I used Gliptone.

By the time I was done, the underside of my hood was shinier than the
top.
It took the better part of a weekend.

HTH.

- Jan Folkson  http://www.janfolkson.com
NYC

'86 16V
'03 Passat GLS 1.8t
'03 Jetta Wagon 1.8t

"Gravity, it's not just a good idea...it's the law!"