Guess who joined the 2L club?

I have been assembling the motor for months. A fresh rebuilt bottom end from
Josh Able (I can vouch for his big bottom ends  :)  and a rebuilt 1.8 L
head.
I started on Friday morning and finished today @ 2:30.
The guy who lives down stairs from me helped pull the engine and put it back
in using a borrowed engine hoist. It really is a two person operation. It
was harder to get out than in!

Every thing has been cleaned and or wire wheeled and painted. I even cleaned
the engine bay and treated the huge rust hole I found. I even got the fly
wheel on correctly this time! (The PO screwed that up)  I can see TDC!

I finished putting oil and coolant in the car, cleaned up the tools and went
inside & smoked a cigarette. I came down stairs, did a final check of the
connections and oil etc, connected the battery and WOW! No smoke. Good sign!
Nervously I cranked the engine, it turned three times and started! I heard
the clanking of the lifters and made a panicky call to Daun for
re-assurance.

After fixing the flood of leaking coolant, set the timing and we went to get
gas. Whelp, I broke the blue exciter wire to the alt. and drained the batt
getting there. Push start the car and home for a repair.

I added the poly inserts from Adirondac to the pass side and D side motor
mounts. Man. I felt like I was on the INSIDE of a vibrator. Will addusting
the timing help at all with this?

Its got 3 miles on the motor now with 200,000 to go   :)

(God I hurt every where)

Julie Macfarlane
Menlo Park Research & Development
Internet Application Developer