another pic for suggestions

Shawn,

Check your starter bushing. It's pressed in to a blind hole in the
bellhousing. If it's bad/missing/cracked you will get difficult and/or
noisy starting (or in my case, the starter will spin a little bit then
jam and start to melt its wiring). It is the only thing supporting the
starter shaft on the engine end, so it seems likely that it could cause
the starter teeth to mesh improperly with the flywheel and break teeth.

A new bushing is only ~$1.10 but is a PITA to put in.

-Toby