quafie

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Dan Bubb wrote:

> The Peloquin LSD is a worm gear type of torque sensing differential, just
> like the Quaife. The actual layout is a little different, but it works on
> the same pricipal.

That's correct. Peloquin makes a LSD that is neither a shim kit nor uses
clutch discs. IIRC the Peloquin uses worm gears while the Quaife uses
spur gears.. but the mechanical output is identical (except for perhaps
the various "tuneable" gear ratios)

I think I remember hearing from someone on the list, too, that you can use
the 80% shim kit with the Peloquin, but not with the Quaife.

Why would you want to do that, you ask? Well, to say it in as few words
as possible, the torsen differential is torque-multiplying.. and 0 times
anything is still zero. If one wheel is spinning, it will just spin and
you will go nowhere. This can be remedied if you give it a little brake
(to provide more than zero resistance at the spinning wheel), or (at least
in theory) by the friction in the 80% shim kit. Personally I don't think
the 80% kit would do very much in this application, but I have no
experience in this area so I won't provide speculation as fact.

-Toby