Need Help! Cabby won't go - has very weird noise

OK - this one came way out of left field. I had just got done taking out the front A-arm bolt to verify it's size, put it back and was going to go to the FLAPS.

But I started it, put it into gear, and tried to go.  As Iet off the clutch, I got MAJOR lapping-like grinding noise like something in the tranny had gone majorly wrong. When I drove it last Sunday there was _no_ indication of this and it hasn't been driven since. WTF?!

The A-arm came out a bit and I had to jack up the car to get it back in place. Could I have pulled the CV joint apart? The outer didn't look bad though I didn't think to pay that close attention...

The tranny is a rebuilt 4k, clutch has less than 500 miles with new gear oil.

Any ideas?  Thanks, JT