From: Dan Smith [mailto:sad_rocc@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 2:53 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: screaming problem, help!

My 84 has developed an intense screaming noise. It started yesterday,
after the car had been sitting all day. I popped the hood with the car
on and it sounds like it's coming from right around the throttle body.
When driving (I had to drive it) it ranges from sounding like a tea
kettle boiling to a muffled belt squeal, depending on the condition the
car is in (ie. idle, slowing down, slowly speeding up, maintaining
speed, etc). When I first popped the hood, it was pretty loud but not
terrible. I checked the intake boots (no visable cracks) and felt around
the throttle body but didn't feel any suction. It sounded like what
you'd get if there was a strong force sucking air through a very small
opening. When the car's idle dropped down a little, the sound got so
intense I think I have some minor hearing damage. Any idea what is going
on? Belts don't look like they're rubbing anywhere, couldn't find any
tears in the boot, tb seems ok. The only time the sound isn't present is
on strong
acceleration (like having the pedal halfway down when you're pulling
away from a stop sign or something). It didn't seem to affect the way
the car drove, no warning lights are on (the oil one does work) and all
temps seemed to be okay.

Dan