From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Dan Smith
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 2:53 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: screaming problem, help!

My 84 has developed an intense screaming noise. It started yesterday, after
the car had been sitting all day. I popped the hood with the car on and it
sounds like it's coming from right around the throttle body. When driving (I
had to drive it) it ranges from sounding like a tea kettle boiling to a
muffled belt squeal, depending on the condition the car is in (ie. idle,
slowing down, slowly speeding up, maintaining speed, etc). When I first
popped the hood, it was pretty loud but not terrible. I checked the intake
boots (no visable cracks) and felt around the throttle body but didn't feel
any suction. It sounded like what you'd get if there was a strong force
sucking air through a very small opening. When the car's idle dropped down a
little, the sound got so intense I think I have some minor hearing damage.
Any idea what is going on? Belts don't look like they're rubbing anywhere,
couldn't find any tears in the boot, tb seems ok. The only time the sound
isn't present is on !  strong  acceleration (like having the pedal halfway
down when you're pulling away from a stop sign or something). It didn't seem
to affect the way the car drove, no warning lights are on (the oil one does
work) and all temps seemed to be okay.

Dan