List Track Day, the mandatory slanderous post

Sounds like a good time was had by all....
!
Larry
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: C Boyko
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org ; 1gli@rochester.rr.com ; drew@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca ; gtigirlie@hotmail.com
  Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 3:57 PM
  Subject: List Track Day, the mandatory slanderous post

  Warning, this post contains little or no technical information. Delete
  immediately if you want to argue...

  Well, I had the gang over on the weekend. This IS NOT an off topic post,
  there were no less than 9 Sciroccos in my driveway up here in the Great
  White North, and some other misc. (very fine) German metal that wasn't part
  of my personal junkyard. And Renard's Neon. At least he had the sense to
  cable tie a VW logo onto it.

  Anyway, the intent was to go pound on cars on the Toronto Motorsports
  circuit track, and pounding was done. But let me digress...

  First, I was informed that part of the Ohio contingent was attempting to
  cross the border with nothing more than flimsy home-laminated
  identification. When Daun called me and said that Anson and Shelly (and
  Victor) had been yanked into Customs, I thought to myself, "yep, it figures,
  he looks like he may have *something extra* in the car", and in fact they
  found it, those rare, expensive and often smuggled teardrop wheels. They let
  him go this time. Lucky too, he then proceeded to entertain us with lots of
  great gravel sliding, his trademark reverse donuts, and some excellent grass
  footage from the track that did NOT involve Ben's car. Ben had some grass
  footage of his own, but we missed filming his "jump" from outside the car.
  (good in-car sound clips of it though, crunch, KaBam)

  Friday night revealed secrets about Sarah Arms that none of us were fully
  aware of. It seems she has watched "Super Troopers" 456,792 times, and knows
  it all by heart. "The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries". Fortunately
  Renard had the foresight to provide suitable beverages for the evening.
  Sarah gets the weekend's Award of Merit though, for travelling in the Bunny
  from Vermont, most of the way with Josh Able. And they were caught "parking"
  along a dark, secluded country road, hmm, what's up with that? I worry about
  Sarah...

  Daun came equipped with his glass breaking hammer, all set to work on my
  garage, but I told him it could wait for another time ;) I really want my
  windows in their present condition. He also found himself in a  situation
  later that evening when he had far more pussy than he could handle. Yep,
  always thinking of my guests.

  Saturday we were off on important car related trips, like - eating out, and
  shopping at Ikea??? I came home from the city after we'd eaten lunch instead
  of improving my home decor, and did a few minor tech procedures to the
  headache, I thought the Locktite had come loose on my "linkage lollipop"
  repair, but no, the ball had just broken off again. Damn car, nothing worse
  than that sloppy lollipop condition. Later issues (of course at the most
  inconvenient time) revealed that every nut and bolt is rattling loose on
  that car, and electrons were not roaming freely.

  By mid afternoon I was thinking of the "next wave" of arrivals, and Meredith
  Yeagley came limping in running on 3 cylinders, with Carston's (very
  healthy) '78 911. (excuse me while I fantasize a bit, those cars have the
  most gorgeous lines, and I resisted the urge to use the barf bag when we
  were lapping at just shy of 100 mph, mmmm, nice ride, thanks Carston!) The
  only problem with his car was the view of Ben's back end at the track, Ben
  just kept passing him over and over and over and over on the video, of
  course the rewind button may have had some role in that phenomenon.

  Poor Carston got a bit of a shock when Drew fired up Carrots (his TD Wolfie)
  in all her spark plug free glory. She's still tapping and smoking, but Drew
  was too busy to take her to the track, she would have liked it too. I have a
  real soft spot for that car. (and thanks for once again getting your hands
  greasy in my engine bay)

  Meredith got to discover first hand just how badly our local Canadian Tire
  sucks as a source of VW parts, but went lapping anyways, by this time the
  car was running well, and she was the smooothest driver there. I think she
  had a total blast too.

  I was over at the 1/4 mile, as was Dennis, and we sucked out bigtime, but
  the lapping folks had a riot. There were a few who didn't stay overnight
  that met us there, Sean in his gorgeous red 8V and Mark in one of his MkIs,
  they had a good time killing rubber and brake pads, and Anson's magnetic
  camera caught the smokage that accounts for all that tire wear. Other great
  footage caught Anson (and mean this in a nice way) being an ass (full
  sideways a few times) and nearly kissing the wall once or twice. He has WAY
  too much fun in that car. (Ron, I'm kidding, Victor's fine, honestly...)

  George was there with his friend too, in the "Economy" section, his friend
  was pounding on a $120 (CDN) Jetta, (damn thing smoked like a diesel, but
  made it around the track just fine) and George just got a new $200 MkII that
  used to live around the corner from me. He left it home though.

  Ben "nobody is" Harder, of course proved  the superiority of Mkis and 16Vs
  all at the same time,  and won every race. (I'm just saying that because I'm
  nuts about that car of his. Lord help me, I love that car.) He had this
  goofy grin on his face a lot, not sure what that was about. Well, I have
  SOME idea.

  Returning home from the track, we ate what small amount of food I could
  locate, and despite me providing perfectly good Tim Horton's Donuts and
  Canadian chocolate bars, certain people (who shall remian nameless at their
  request) had to venture into the "alternative snack foods". The dog was not
  amused. This had nothing to do with the Molson's XXX. I'm sure of it. There
  may also be some incriminating footage of Josh  floating around out there.
  I'm sure it will surface eventually.

  So I survived having 10 Rocco nuts sleeping under my roof, and I miss you
  guys/gals already. I'll keep everyone posted about when these events are
  happening, and let's do it again..It was a blast.

  Cathy