'88 16v. need to diagnose fuel pump/relay problems

When you pull the FPR, look at the pins on it.  See the two larger ones?  To jumper it, in the fusebox run a wire between those two connections.  Beware, soon as you do, it's on, so be ready to start the car.  And soon as you shut it down, yank it out.  Also, use thick wire to avoid things catching on fire (18 gauge is a no-no.  don't ask how i know)