[audio] subs & boxes

Yes there are formulas, but you'd need to know the thiele small parameters
of the woofers, which will be impossible to get ahold of.  Your safe choice
here is to match the box volume to the box they were in before, and utilize
those ports.   Box volume and port size/length play a huge part in how your
box will sound.   The next safest choice would be to build a box about 1-1.5
cubic feet for both woofers and keep it sealed.   Sealed boxes have a bigger
"window" if you will - smaller will sound tighter/punchier and bigger will
sound deeper/looser.  If you're using them for mid-bass, put them in small
boxes and give em tons of power.  They'll kick.   If you're using them as
subwoofers, put them in a large box or use the ported method mentioned above
with the stock ports.

Oh yeah with your box being hung under the hatch - make sure you make it
light but very rigid at the same time.  You can get away with thinner wood
as long as you brace it internally in the right spots.  Heres what I would
do - figure out your box dimension you need, then run to revy and get the
closest matching rubbermaid box.  Get some fiberglass resin and put a couple
coats inside the rubbermaid box.  Include a couple vertical braces for
rigidity.  Pop the box out of the 'mold', paint it black, and screw it under
a wooden hatch lid.  Cut your woofers out of the top - and the ports if
you're going that way, and you're done!

Good luck!

Vince Royer
Sales Manager