alternator light and voltage

Did you check to make sure all your wires connecting to the alternator and the ones connected to the battery were good and tight? Could just be a short or loose connection or something with the light itself.

Dan

Derrick flo <derrickmd18@verizon.net> wrote:
I have a 87 vw scirocco 16v and when I was driving home last night the battery light came on for a few seconds then went out. I thought might be because of the cold weather. then when I was at a drive thru getting food the battery light came on again at idle. I pressed on the gas pedal and it wouldn't go out. after about 30 seconds it went out. when I was driving home from work and speed racing up a hill the light came on and went back off.

Just to mention I was running a laptop, and head lights when it came on last night. this morning I was running just the laptop and radio. then tonight I was racing up a hill I was running a laptop, radio, and headlights.

I hooked a volt meter up to the car and I'm getting 13.1V max output. its normally between 12.3 - 12.7v while I'm driving and everything. Does anyone know what the problem maybe? I looked at the manual and it said I should be getting 14.1V at 3000 RPM but I'm not. I drive the car for a hour and 10 mins in the rain to night and I never got a light or anything.