H4 conversions, 5.75" Rounds revisited once again

those were the ones that where purchased at JC Whitney

ATS - Patrick Bureau

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Dan Smith [mailto:sad_rocc@yahoo.com]
  Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2003 10:26 AM
  To: Patrick Bureau
  Cc: _Scirocco List
  Subject: Re: H4 conversions, 5.75" Rounds revisited once again

  Nice info! Whatever happened with those Autopal lights you got for like
$10 each?

  Dan

  Patrick Bureau <txrocco@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    Im my continual search for the lenses that will be handle to handle my
100/130w H4 and 100w H3/H1 Rallye Bulbs, here are some revised and new
results. My testing has been based on 2 types of Headlights, Round 5.75" and
Square 4x6" as well and the result I enter below Applies as stated by type
tested.

    Stay away of the following lenses if you are running anything above
55/60w bulbs

    Crystal Headlight series (4x6 & 5.75" lenses), the reason being simple,
at 100w continous use, the polymer casing though a thickness that should
handle a lot of heat, and the polymer lenses that I had hopes would resist
chipping and cracking from road hazzards, turned out to be weaker than
expected at true high wattage lights. after 3 weeks use the inner polymer
ring holding the flat edge of the H4's simply cooked and burned slowly,
imagine cripsy burned black plastic. I rate it a 2/5 , because fitting was
less than perfect, and beam pattern seemed to diffuse the light everywhere
more than on the road after 30 meters.

    The JC Whitney have a replacement H4 Glass and Metal housing
Lense,(5.75" Lenses) had hopes about this product as well, and would
reccomend it for a standard 50/60w application, the glass lense has a decent
pattern on the road, and is a great upgrade fversus the Sealed beams, the
look remains stock, and I liked these alot as they fit like a glove,
unfortunatly, the lense curvure being identical to a seal beam, and the H4
being longer in lenght than a sealed beam bulb, this places the hottest
point of the bulb (tip) the closests to the middle point of the lense. and
yes you guessed it with 100w/130w bulbs, it took me 2 days to crack both
lenses in 2 parts.
    I rate this product a 3/5.

    Peter Scirocco, A List member was selling used 4x6" lenses for H4's,
product I jumped on , as the price was more than fair but I was and remained
a little dubious at first, the makes of the lenses I has never heard of not
could produce any real information on the companies that mmade them, I
expected them to fail, as I have been starting to beleive that I was not to
find a cheap solution. Wel the lenses were "Maxtel" and "Cluteroche" this
last one made in france, impress me a little more confidence as we all know
europeans use true wattage bulbs not 50/60w that try to produce X amount of
white light to imitate 80w bulbs or higher. Well I give these 2 makes a big
5/5 they resisted my 100w/130w bulbs without as much as a twitch.. the
patterns we very good, a really good upgrade on the 4x6 sealed of the
Scirocco MKII's I give these lense 4/5 simply top notch generic lenses.
Peter do you still have some more ??

    Hella 71456/71156 Lenses (5.75"), expensive, but impressive, their
design as signature of engineering, bought a new set off Ebay for 150$ (2
H4's 2 H1's), the first things to notice is the steel, much thicker at the
eyes view, the casing being much more polished in finish than others I have
seen so far, Their lenses... Well I know why their lenses can sustain the
heat of the high wattage bulbs I have... they simply use a flat lense that
is actually "Spaced" out from the metal casing thus the front lense is about
1/2" father out front... permitting it to remain cool even under the heat of
high wattage bulbs, Yes I know many may know or not know this, and now will
be in the scirocco.org archives to be found :) easy rate this a 5/5. too bad
their cost is prohibiting, otherwize everyone would have them on their cars.

    There are a few More I have decided to try, simply because at this point
I have tried so many of these lense, that I feel compelled to continue
testing..

    more to come on other lenses in the future, looking for those (Projector
types maybe someone has the web site again?) at this time, if someone has
them on, a review would be appreciated by all I am sure.

    cheers