From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of C Boyko
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 4:08 AM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: RE: CV Joints vs Axle assembly

I put a new remanufactered axle on the 16V several years ago, it's been drag
raced on slicks from May to Oct for two seasons, twice a month at least, and
no issues. FWIW, in a straight line application with a bit more than stock
power, I haven't seen axles go on VWs. (Hondas change them like underwear
and VW trannies are another story, I've seen many killed off (not ours), and
we've toasted a few clutches.) There would be about 20 000 kms on the axle
other than the straight line miles. But vigourous curvy stuff would be the
telling tale (ie Anson!) . Adam (my son) uses remans on his "scraping the
ground low" Jetta, and he kills them off regularily, the angle is too
extreme. I think he'd toast brand new stuff too, so for his money, the
lifetime guarantee is a good thing. I'd do the whole axle again, but maybe I
got a good one, it may depend on the quality of the core they rebuilt for
you. If you rebuild your own, this would be a known quantity.
Cathy

---