Undercoating removal...Success!

Awesome! Make sure you're using a well ventilated area and a very good mask, I bet some pretty toxic fumes could get released.

Dan

"John C. Worden" <scirocco@powerlink.net> wrote:
Forgot to throw this on to my last post about the rotisserie. I was
peeling some
loose undercoating off the '78 this evening when I thought of trying a
propane torch
to see if I could cook it off. Well it doesn't really cook off but
combined with a putty
knife if scrapes off pretty easy. There is of course quite a bit of
residue which I tried
a wire brush on with no success. One result of using a torch on the
undercoating is
that there is soot all over the panel I was working on. So an hour or so
later I took a
can of carb cleaner and sprayed the are, pass inner fender, and wiped it
with a rag
so I could see what the panel looked like and the remainder of the residue
is coming
off easily. So it looks like propane torch and scraper, followed by carb
cleaner and rag
or some abrasive pad will make this job a bit easier.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic, 4 speed.
'89 Polaris Indy Deluxe