Success! (was: Seized piston removal ideas (ABA)?)

Thanks to you, too, Mark, for responding.

Once I got past the idea of trying to save the piston, I just started whacking on it with the heaviest hammer I had. I was actually really surprised how much force it took just to get it to budge. Once I got it moving down, I started pounding from the underside using a 24" extension (it's an OBD1 motor with squirters that I didn't want to remove if I could avoid it...) Several whacks later, it was freed.

The top two rings were fused in there and the crown ended up cracking. I took some pix but they were so bad I deleted them. I'll try to take some tomorrow.

Now I have to find a used piston...

Thanks again, guys!  Jeff

Mark <mardak@cogeco.ca> wrote:
I've had to deal with seized pistons at work many times. One was so bad
that I had to chisel the piston into little pieces to get it out.

If you plan on reusing the piston (if it were mine and stuck that bad I
probably wouldn't), you could try cutting a piece of 2x4 to the shape of
the piston, and pound on it with a mini-sledge to get it to move. Once
it moves, you should be able to remove it which ever way is easiest.
The reason I wouldn't reuse the piston is that the ring lands will
probably be damaged by the pounding, depending on how much force it took
to break it free...

I can't see heat being much help. If you apply heat to the piston it'll
just fit tighter, and I'm not so sure if heating the cylinder walls is a
good idea...

HTH,

Mark.
80 S
81 S ABA/JH/4K

Will
> that help break anything free? If so, how does that specifically work?
Any