Cutting shifter

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 09:29:24PM -0800, Dan Smith wrote:

> Yeah that happens to me a lot. I have small hands but neither my very
> minorly cut shifter nor my stock shifter causes me to hit anything. I
> almost hit the seat in 2nd, but that's it. I'm sure someone makes a
> shortened shift rod out there, but I don't know who. Try the usual
> suspects (potter, TT, autotech, neuspeed, etc etc)

I am picky about my shifter.  Fortunately, it is very easy to
modify.  First, I GOT to have a short shift.  I've always made my own, buy
cutting an inch or so out of the shift lever on the transmission and
welding it back together.  Makes a part similar to shown
here: http://www.autotech.com/a2sskit.jpg

I hate the stock "bent" Scirocco shifter. Next thing I do
is swap a straight one in out of a cabriolet, and usually cut an inch or
so out of it.  This unfortunatley moves the shift knob forward, where it
can interfere with the radio even though it is cut down and with a short
shift kit installed.

So, the final step is to modify the selector shaft that goes between the
above shift lever and the relay shaft.  Making this lever shorter moves
the shift knob backwards.  A little goes a long way, I needed like 3/4 of
an inch.  I usually weld on about a pound of steel round rod here, smooths
out the shifting.

Cap the whole business off with a MOMO Tall Anatomic Leather and you're
done.

Dan