Cutting shifter

Ok, if you want a shorter shifter go the the junkyard and find an 83 or 84 GTI. Pull the assembly the main rod is shorter and straight (I am refering to the rod that the shift knob screws onto sheez).

Brian

Ron Pieper <rapieper@yahoo.com> wrote:
--- derrick floyd wrote:
> While I'm on the shifter topic I wanted to know how many of u guys cut
> your shifter? I have owned 4 vw and everyone I brought had the shifter
> cut. Do they make a short shifter for the inside of the car? Also am I
> the only one the hand hits the stereo when I'm in first gear?

I cut a Cabby shifter, but not a Scirocco one. I cut off one inch, which was too much. Nobody I
know makes a short shifter for inside the car, but there is an interesting unit in JC Whitney's
catalog. I believe that'd be better for Rabbits since it's straight.

If you want to cut your shifter, here's how:
-Remove ball
-place a dropcloth around the shifter area.
-With an M12-1.50 die, thread the shaft down as far as desired.
-remove die and hacksaw off the unwanted portion
-Clean threads with file, reinstall ball.

Note that this can be done with the shifter in the car. I reckon a 'roc might be OK with an inch,
but it all depends on the driver's physiology.

HTH

Ron

=====
Cheapass Ron
'81 Scirocco S - "Victor Jr."
(2.0L 16V, GL 4-speed w/ Quaife installed, Megasquirt coming...)