Shifter play

OMG!!! This IS so funny and a it IS  bit perverse when you read about it. I
finally broke down and bought a new one of those lollipop things, but I
haven't got it on there yet. I'm hoping a new one will last better than
used, we've killed a few, and excessive play in the shifter is the primary
symptom when the ball falls off completely. I also get a real nasty
vibration, (sounds like something big grinding on the frame) which goes away
when you put your hand on the shifter when that ball has gone/the bolt is
loose . I'm assuming we're talking about the same part here, and whether
it's a nut or bolt that holds the part on depends on if you have the stock
mechanism or an aftermarket short shift kit, mine's held on with a bolt,
which now has red locktite and a lock washer on it.(it's the TT version)
Cathy