From: Mark [mailto:mardak@cogeco.ca]
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 12:03 AM
To: 'Rick Kellner'; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: RE: 2.0l swap; why not move air box?

> Mark, Air box height was a problem for the person I mentioned that
> converted the rabbit however; I have heard that the Motronic FI (air
> mass plate and fuel dist) will fit right on an A1 air-box.  So if it
> fits on the driver side it should fit on the passenger side if I use
an
> A1 air box.

Nope.  I installed mine 'front to back', like the A2 units sit, so it
runs on top of the "frame rail".  As it sits on the driver side, the
bottom part of the airbox steps down (it hangs down, over the side of
the frame rail).  This step has to be completely removed if you run it
'north/south' on the passenger side frame rail.  Even though you have to
butcher the hell out of the bottom part of the airbox, when it's done it
looks very "stock-like" from the outside.  A bracket isn't needed - the
shallow part of the airbox can be fastened directly to the frame rail
with self tapping screws from the inside (after a slot has been made to
clear the raised spotwelded seam - use a hot butter knife).  If you
route your fuel injector lines neatly there's no reason it can't look
like it came like that from the factory.

Unlike Julie's experience, on the 8v it doesn't get in the way of belts
or anything if you mount it on the rail.  I like the way it really
cleans/opens up the driver side of the engine bay.  It's A LOT easier to
access stuff like the shift linkages.  If you also relocate the battery
to the back there's a TON of room in there - enough to make some extra
money smuggling illegal aliens across the border.  ;)

The A2 intake manifold's runners are longer (better torque), and the
throttle body opening is larger to accommodate the larger TB (better
flow).

BUT, the performance gains can be the same using a fox intake manifold
(with the cold start valve relocated to the end) with an a2/Audi
5k/Neuspeed throttle body instead and keeping everything on the driver
side...

Another thing to consider, I had to either modify my Neuspeed upper
strut tie bar or make an intake tube that cleared it.  I bought a length
of 3" PVC tubing and spent an evening getting high off of PVC solvent
and made a decent 'big bore' intake that will work with the tie bar...
The A2 intake tube is VERY restrictive, so it's a good thing to upgrade
anyway!

I don't regret swapping things over, but as I said I like being
different.  :)  Most people would say that it's not worth the hassle
though...

Mark.
80 S
81 S  ABA/JH/4K