2.0l swap; why not move air box?

At our local VW club meeting last night the topic of 2.0l conversions
came up.  One member put a 2.0l Motronic in his A1 convertible while the
other is planning the conversion in his Scirocco.  The rabbit conversion
moved the air/fuel to the A2 side (i.e., keeping it in the same spot as
the donor car) while the Scirocco conversion envisions keeping the
air/fuel on the A1 side.  Both had their reasons for keeping or moving
the air/fuel supply such as keeping the 1.8 head or wanting the
Motronic.  This leads me to the question; why is it claimed to be a PIA
to put the air/fuel on the A2 side? If you are keeping the Motronic and
2.0l head what is there to move besides the air box and cutting the fuel
lines?  Don't the fuel lines already come in on the passenger side?  Is
the Motronic air box too tall?  If you do move the Motronic to the A1
side the battery interferes.  Am I missing something?
Thanks, Rick Kellner.