Rear Main Seal leaking...again!

Sometimes when the seal gets wet for a long period of time, it will attract
debris onto the shoulder where the seal rides...  When it keeps attracting
debris, sometimes it will actually sand a groove into the crank where that
seal should have a smooth surface to ride against...  To check for this, take
out the seal, and feel the shoulder of the crank with your finger nail...  If
you feel you nail catch on something, 9 times out of 10 it is a groove worn
into the crank, although somtimes it will be a ring of dried oil...  Either
way, if you find something there, you need to sand it smooth with emory paper,
like 250 grit?  Sorry, I do not know the grit I have used in the past...  THe
idea is to get that smooth so the seal does not have to work so hard...  If it
has a deep groove, check with your FLAPS and see if you can find a sleeve kit,
which is a finely machined ring of metal that will slide over that shoulder so
that it is no longer an issue...

HTH

David

PS, check to be sure that you used a good seal between the flange and the
block if you removed it, and also that the torque of those bolts is correct...

Quoting matthias@kithe.net: