8v engine problems after transmission swap

My scirocco’s engine is running like crap. It’s a mkII
8v, all stock. I just finished replacing the
transmission and since then I’ve noticed a few things
sounds different and feel much different on the road
(that should not be related to the transmission).

Here’s the symptoms:

exhaust is much much more pronounced

idle *was* lower by 200 rpm, re-adjusted the idle
screw but I think its all related to the problem

more important then anything, there is tremendous lack
of power below 2000 rpm (floor the gas pedal and the
car barely moves) and lack of power above as well.
Feels like im being robbed of about 15 hp in the top
end.

the acceleration is not linear. There is a few “jerks”
along the way up to 5000 rpm, maybe 2 or 3 little
pulls, feels just like a misfire.

I did take the clutch/pp/flywheel off, and used the
crank pully on the other side for leverage to “break
loose” the pressure plate bolts. Could it be possible
that the timing belt jumped a tooth? It doesn’t seem
likely because no other sprocket for the timing belt
was locked down so they could have rotated as well.

I checked for vacuum leaks and it didn’t look like
there was any.

Any of those symptoms telltale sign of a common
problem?

I looked at my Bentley, but it could be so many
things. A hint in a direction would be very helpful
from the experienced 8v crowd (im just dwelving into
CIS and 8v!)