Clutch woes---solved...

Well, I have no firm idea....  This is my first clutch...  Tranny work has
always left me cold...

   I 'think' the trouble was that, the clutch began to 'shell', I heard the
crunch...  I assume this because it began to bind?  Anyways, when I put my
foot on the pedal, it went to the floor...  And then I could not engage the
clutch with it running/rolling, even if I pulled up the pedal...  Half the
friction material went from the clutch plate to dust/debris elsewhere in the
clutch assembly...  This meant that I had all sorts of slack now that was not
present before it shelled on the one side...  And/or the clutch was engaged
all  the time because that material was bunched-up in the mechanism...  To be
honest, I don't know...  I do know that clutches do not look like that unless
they are blown, that is about it!

David

Anyone else with an idea of how clutches/trannies work, inform us where I am
right/wrong...?