16v Clutch Cable Binding? Stretched? Worn?...

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 12:17:58AM -0800, A J wrote:
> Does anyone out there know when your clutch cable is
> going out on a 16v ? Mine is acting weird like it
> doesnt let out smooth and If I let it out to fast the
> car kinda jumps , what about the clutch going out ?

The stock clutch cable on a 16v has a metal elbow that the cable passes
through.  Eventually, the cable wears through the inside corner of the
elbow, like this:

http://slacktide.org:88/~dan/pics/cars/Scirocco/clutch/cable1.JPG

Then, the cable starts wear and splinter, like this:

http://slacktide.org:88/~dan/pics/cars/Scirocco/clutch/cable2.JPG

Sometimes the spinters then cause it to stick a bit, and makes the
clutch finger to continuously ride on the thowout bearing, causing the
bearing to overheat and sieze, like this:

http://slacktide.org:88/~dan/pics/cars/Scirocco/clutch/bearing1.JPG

Since the bearing is no longer rotating, it causes an enourmous ammount of
friction betwen the clutch finger and the bearing, causing them to weld
together like this:

http://slacktide.org:88/~dan/pics/cars/Scirocco/clutch/bearing2.JPG

It's pretty cool when this happens, your clutch pedal starts to wildly
kick up and down like it's possessed.

Dan

--
edv('Buttered Toast.')