Wanted ABS sensor / parts -- info rocco

> I've got traction control on the Corvette.
> Having it turned on is NOT the way to quick times,
> believe me.
> Larry

I agree, GM traction control sucks. But nobody said
Brian was going to use factory GM traction control. :)

Traction control on a factory car is designed to make
the car SAFER. Traction control on a race car is
designed to make the car FASTER. There is a world of
difference between the two.

I intended to use something like this on the '77, but
a three-wheeling VW doesn't work well for a 4-channel
traction control system. :(

http://www.racelogic.co.uk

After talking to these guys, it became clear that it
would kill power in the middle of a turn if I pick up
an inside wheel while left-foot-breaking. Not good!
Either I'll have to roll my own, or modify the rear
suspension to keep the inside rear wheel on the
ground.

Anyway, does race-quality Traction Control work? HELL
YES. And I've been on the losing end of it.

It rained quite a bit on the first day of the Solo-II
National Championships this year. I would have had the
lead at the end of the day by nearly a full second
(which is a HUGE margin), if it weren't for a guy in a
supercharged M3 who blew me away by .6sec on his last
run. The guy is a great driver, but I was having a
hard time believing ANYONE could drive such a high-HP,
RWD car that well in the rain. Sure enough, I found
out later he has aftermarket traction control!

I have also watched a 500hp Supra Turbo with RaceLogic
hang with a 500hp Talon off the line at a ProSolo. For
those who don't know, that's a drag-race-style start,
followed by mirror image autocross courses. Full
staging tree, but only normal untreated concrete, and
tires that aren't optimized for straight-line
traction. Getting RWD cars to hook-up is a major
challenge. Even stock Miatas were smoking tires. He
had no such problem. Still lost a little to the Talon
off the line, but only about 5-10ft at the 60' mark
instead of the TWO FULL CAR LENGTHS everyone else was
losing.

I really want TC on my car...

And if you don't believe me, ask Michael Shumacher, or
any of the other F1 teams. :)

Neal Tovsen
'77 Scirocco G60
SCCA Solo-II Street Modified