cross-flow vs g60

Not so fast about giving up the 8V.
After nearly 400K miles between two 8V Sciroccos at redline on the
Autobahn, I confess to knowing my 86 8V well, albeit not nearly as much as
you folks about the mark and the nuances of each. One reason I don't know
as much is I haven't had anything other than mundane problems at 250K plus
on my 86.

And, as much as I like one of previous wifes'  low mileage 88 16 valve, I
am not convinced that the best thing for my 86 8V would be to hang an extra
cam on the head.  I'm looking for a 2.0 bottom.  (Don't snicker.) That
seems more sensible as a conversion. Later, I can add a Lader (G60 or
Paxton). Maybe even that Corvair 2.7 turbo in the garage.
I haven't studied the numbers, but I feel one cam in the 8V similar to what
the factory put in their MK1 German 110 HP GTI screamers, but plunked on
top of two liters, would be a great driver and performer.
(Would like to know what after market grinds equate or would it be easier
to just buy a factory Euro cam.

You guys have been at this awhile. Who knows the numbers on Euro GTI cams?)
After all these miles, that's where I'm headed.

Sorry, I nearly lost my original point. Does anyone see advantage in a
crossflow head compared to the JH if I find a good xfl 2 liter?  Lader,
Turbo or normally aspirated?