17 inch Rims

Rock on Andre, good to see you again, and thanks for answering the questions!

Now, lemme throw something else into the mix.  Rolling the fenders is not a problem, my mk1 needs rust repair on the rear wheel well lips, and I have even considered flairing them a bit.  New sheet metal fenders are going on, so they can be flaired too.

The rims are 17x7 ET38, tire size I am considering: 215/35/17.  It is within .3% of a 185/60/14 in diameter, but about .4 of an inch wider than a 205/40/17.  205/40/17 is 3% taller than a 185/60/14....hence my reasoning for wanting to try the 215/35/17.  I only found ONE manufacturer making a tire in that size, its Pirelli, Pzero Nero.  It can be found on tire rack.

Link to the tire:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Nero&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=135WR70N&fromCompare1=yes

Here are the rims in question, btw:

http://www.vintagewatercooleds.com/~scirocco/rims.JPG

Not bad for $200 delivered, eh?

--
Eric
www.VintageWatercooleds.com

79 VW Iltis
81 Scirocco S (*TDI* swap and complete restoration in holding pattern)
81 Rabbit Truck 2.0 16v Motronic
83 Scirocco Wolfsburg

--- Andre Bjorkheim <andre@nwmicrobrews.com> wrote:
Eric,

17x7.5 with 35mm offset or 17x7 with 38-40mm seem to do the trick.  Tire
size would be the smallest available (still bigger than stock tho) @
205/40/17.  Chances are that if you haven't shaved or rolled your rear
fenders, you'll rub.  Perhaps not as much with a 7" rim, but with my
7.5" rims I would rub more had I not shaved the rear fenders.  My
advice, take off or roll the entire rear fender.  The fronts are as much
of a problem cuz I have some neg camber as well as a VERY stiff front
end.  HTH!

Andre' (heading to PDX for the weekend)
Nogaro Green 79
Brazil Brown Metallic 79