From: T. Reed [mailto:treed2@u.washington.edu]
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 5:33 AM
To: Rick Kellner
Subject: Re: water leak causes?

Check the windshield seal. Seriously. They tend to leak between the body
and the seal, /not/ between the glass and the seal. Look especially at
the
4 corners; thats where the seal shrinks inward and a gap opens up,
allowing water to drain down the channel inside the seal and drip behind
the dash. If it happens on your driver side you'll get water dripping on
(and ruining) your fusebox. The water works its way down beneath the
carpet in to the channels in the floorpan, which it gradually fills up
until it soaks the padding, insulation and carpet. Typically it fills
the
area behind the seat first because it's slightly lower there.

I had leaks on both sides and it was a wet and stinky 6 months or so
until I figured out what was going on and injected a bunch of black
silicone sealant between the windshield gasket and the body. It has
been dry for the past 2 or 3 years (knock on wood). New gaskets run
$160-ish so a $3 tube of sealant was a better solution for me.

HTH and get that leak fixed ASAP before it ruins your interior! Spray
with
windex to kill mildew before it can bloom/flourish. Take carpet and
padding inside to dry out for several days.

-Toby

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Rick Kellner wrote:

> I thought that I fixed the leak in my car but I am only half done.
The