loose flywheel bolt/pp strap breakage/flat pushrod

--- Allyn <amalventano@sc.rr.com> wrote:
> Toby,
> My guess is that the bolt backed out first (along
> with a couple of others
> near it), causing offset stress on the pressure
> plate straps, causing one to
> break, causing the pressure plate to disengage
> unevenly (causing your noise
> only when disengaged), causing an offset in the
> push rod mating surface,
> causing your push rod end to get chewed.
>
> advice: new tranny time (that will take care of the
> push rod as well).
> note: use locktite on those pressure plate bolts.
>
> hth
> Al

Can not stress this 1st one enough:

- New PP bolts _come_ with locktite on them, but you
_must_ clear the bolt holes of oil, else they will
back out.

- Pushrod needs a dallop of bearing grease or other
high shear strength lube on the PP end, the other end
bathes in gear oil with the throwout bearing. (Away
from my manual, one end of the rod is round, one end
conical.)

- I agree: most likely the bolt backed out 1st.

- You could consider $80 - $100 as the cost for a
Sachs clutch kit with new bolts, push plate, bearing,
PP, big ol snap ring, friction disk, and, and, I think
thats it.  Most likely to have push rod (bronze-ish)
bushing & seal, and main seal as well but I forget.

Hmmm, looks like Potter will cost you about $150 for
all the goodies added to the kit.

<http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=027141032F>
 AND
<http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=8V198KIT>

- I got to thinking you might clean and prep the
broken bushing area and slap some of that plastic
steel stuff up on the sucker. Once it hardens you can
machine in if you have to, but in this case if it's
just to help support the starter's bushing and keep
things from slopping around it might serve.

hth,
TBerk