scary engine/clutch noise - update

"T. Reed" wrote:

> Okay so I finally looked in to this -- it appears that something is
> chewing up my tranny bellhousing, probably an errant flywheel bolt that
> loosened itself somehow. I pulled the timing plug and there were nice
> aluminum shavings sprinkled on the bottom of it. So I'm definitely pulling
> my tranny; I'm hoping for the best (ie. all I have to buy are new flywheel
> bolts)
>
> There is no noise until I step on the clutch pedal then there is an ugly
> grinding sound. Being in or out of gear while on the clutch pedal makes no
> difference.
>
> What is the torque specification on the flywheel bolts? I put them at
> whatever was in the bentley when I re-installed the clutch, but somewhere
> on the net I read that you're supposed to give them an extra 1/4 or 1/2
> turn after torquing them and if you don't they will back out and what
> happened to me will happen..?
>
> -Toby
>
> _____________

Two things:

- I didn't clean the oil off the threads prior to installing my clutch.

- I ran the motor across California (not up and down, across) and then
3/4 of the way across Nevada on my way to Cincy one year (abortive
attempt) and had that same sound after the car sat for a bit.

Turns out what I though was chewed up 8v valves was partially backed out
pressure plate bolts, which in turn elongated and made oval the holes in
the crank. Needless to say this was the impetus to finally graft the K/S
needing RD motor in place of the now damaged JH engine.

Bet it's something along these lines.

TBerk